Saturday, November 14, 2009

So long Wellington

2 days left in New Zealand.

After only 3 hours sleep, I was awake again. Final cleaning, packing and goodbyes were the order of the day. I was finally successfully checked out by my RA with 45 minutes to spare before my shuttle came to pick me up. At this point, I was in complete denial. But soon enough my shuttle was attempting a 12 point turn in our narrow street and I was saying goodbye to some amazing people.

First it was my flatmates. I know life will be so different without them. I can always count on Natalie for a good laugh, political bashing or just great conversation over a few bottles of beer. From our treasure at the pirate party to Shortland Street to the time spent with her in Blenheim, I am going to miss her so much. And she's the furthest away. It's not going to be an easy task to see her again in the future. He had already left, but without Kevin, there won't be spilled ice, sweet tea or constant 90s jams. I'm hoping that I'll be able to meet him in the city when his flight lands, to hear about the amazingness of his trip. And then there's Elizabeth. Who will I skype with from across the room? Whose true laugh will I be able to blast through the house, immediately breaking up any awkward silences? She has become a solid part of everyday life and it was really hard to say goodbye. Luckily, she lives in Ohio on the way to Ohio State, so a trip to visit Kiersten can include a visit to Elizabeth.

My neighbors have been fantastic as well. The American friends I have made will encourage me to get in my car and drive across our country just to see them again. And I hope to be able to visit New Zealand again to see Natalie, Jacob and all of the other Kiwi friends I have made.

After a lonely flight, I have arrived in Auckland. I picked up my rental car and headed to One Tree Hill, which has great views of the greater Auckland area. I spent the afternoon there, just reflecting on the experiences that I've had here. This has to be one of the most beautiful countries and I am so glad that I have been able to spend such an extended period of time here. I've seen and experienced so much, and I have made friends who will last far beyond the shores of Aotearoa.

I am lucky enough to not have to be alone for too long. Maggie and Emily are heading to Thailand on Monday and flew to Auckland a few days early in order to save a bit of cash. I picked them up at the airport and we are staying at Maggie's friend Francesca's house. Her house is absolutely gorgeous. Its located far outside of the city and the air is so clean and crisp. Its also far enough from light pollution that I can finally see the stars. And let me tell you, the Southern Hemisphere out shines the Northern Hemisphere by far.

More soon,

Liam









1 comment:

  1. I wish I was there!!! I love star-gazing and I haven't had the opportunity to do that in Delaware yet. Plus, I'm sure it's a completely different view from the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete