Thursday, November 26, 2009

'tis the season

Kia Ora,

So in both New Zealand and Australia, the Christmas season starts immediately after Guy Fawkes Day (5 November). I must say that it is really weird seeing Christmas decorations in early November. In the US, we wait until after Thanksgiving before going full force into the season.

Well, today was Thanksgiving. Weirdest Thanksgiving of my life. No parade, no stuffing, no turkey, no pie, no Braveheart. It just didn't feel like Thanksgiving without these things. Our hope was to find a restaurant serving Kangaroo for dinner, but we were unable to do so. Instead, we went to a Chinese restaurant, where we all ordered duck. This immediately reminded me of the movie A Christmas Story. As the Christmas season in the movie ends, thus did mine begin. Once we left the restaurant, the Christmas lights across the street lit up and showed us that Christmas has truly arrived, both here and in the US.

Eat lots of turkey America. Happy Thanksgiving! :)

- Liam

2 comments:

  1. Did you get a waiter at the Chinese restaurant to sing "Deck the Halls" in the appropriate fasion? That would make my day if it did happen. I hope your day went well, and the Christmas season "starting" means that you will be home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH!! I just watched A Christmas Story today! But I fell asleep. I went to Shady Maple for breakfast and I was taking my post-SM nap. haha

    Anyway, I went down to Disney for Thanksgiving last year because my uncle works there and we wanted to visit him. EVERYTHING was decorated for Christmas. It was weird but AWESOME!

    Can't wait for you to get back. :D

    ReplyDelete